IL Dupage County Waterfall Glen
Dupage County, Illinois
A large park that completely surrounds Argonne National Laboratory and includes a 9 mile crushed limestone trail as well as numerous trails in the woods.
- Terrain / Scenery: Mostly wooded with some open prairie areas
- Fees / Permits: None
- Trail Conditions: Wide crushed limestone multi use trail in good condition. Trails in the woods are dirt or mud
- Trail Markings: None present or needed for the main trail. The trails in the woods are unmarked and can be a maze
- Facilities: Pit Toilets or Portable Bathrooms located at the parking areas and at the model airplane field
- Official Web Page: Waterfall Glen
- Getting There: Waterfall Glen is located in Darien south of I-55. The main entrance is at Northgate Rd. and Cass Ave. Other parking areas are on Lemont Rd and the new in 2006 parking area off of Bluff Rd.
Then main trail loop is very popular with runners, walkers and bikers as well as some equestrian traffic. On nice days the trails can be fairly crowded so use caution.
Cross Country Skiing The main crushed limestone trail is groomed for cross country skiing when conditions allow. It is packed for skating with classical tracks on the side. The Dupage Country Forest Preserve has one groomer who moves around the county after a snow. Waterfall Glen is usually 1st or 2nd on the list so it is usually groomed within a day of a snow fall.
The center skate lane helps keep the walkers and runners out of the classical tracks, but not entirely. The park receives so much use that it is innevitable that the trail gets trampled, but is usually not too bad for a few days after a snow.
Biking Bikes are only allowed on the 8 foot wide crushed limestone main trail.
Model Airplane Field A large open area is available to RC model airplanes, but the entrance has a locked gate on it. Contact the park visitor service for access information.